- Only 12% of the US population does not own a cell phone. Of the remaining 88%, half own smart phones.
- Within the past year, the number of people who own smart phones has increased 40% with the Android being the most popular and the iPhone coming in at 2nd.
- Smartphone ownership is even between men (49%) and women (51%).
- 20% of smartphone users listen to music with their phones while at work.
- Smartphone users are more likely to have their phones next to them at nearly all times.
- 30% of smartphone users also own some form of a tablet
- Smartphone owners spend as much time on their phones as they do watching television.
- 76% of smartphone users go through facebook to connect with a brand or product. 71% of individuals with smartphones are likely to post status updates as compared to 51% who do not have smartphones.
- People with smartphones check their facebook an average of 5x a day and have about 2x the number of friends as those without it.
In addition to the facts, I can't even count the number of people I see wandering around the streets, trying to find a location on their phone. The last time I took MegaBus, nearly every single person at the Chicago stop used their phone to provide their confirmation number/boarding pass (compared with Toledo where most people had paper print outs -- a fact I found interesting when comparing urban and suburban areas). As for that 40% increase, I believe it. I finally talked my aunt into an iPhone (she previously had a razr) and she loves it! Most everyone I know uses their phones to find things, get to places or even do a little research.
So if you're still not convinced that the internet, social media and mobile devices are relevant to you, think of it this way: if someone is looking for something to do, don't you want them to consider your event as a possible choice?
If you'd like to work with me, email business inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org